Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2019

St. PADDY's DAY! DELISH Vegetarian Reuben (Vegan Option)

St. Paddy's Day is our family holiday.  Christmas, Easter, and such are good and we get together BUT St. Paddy's Day is special in my family.  My parents own The Unicorn Restaurant & Pub since 1983 and I have been celebrating with them since I was born and at The Unicorn since it opened (I missed 1 year being in college).  Since I moved to Miami this will be a year without The Unicorn, family, and it will also be alcohol free!  Sixty- two days I decided to give up alcohol for 30 days and I just kept going, but that's another post!

The Unicorn Restaurant has mouth watering food and I especially love their reuben sandwiches so I decided to make my own version down here by the beach.  It is vegetarian and with a vegan option.

Check it out!


Corned "Jack"

1 can of Jackfruit drained and rinsed
1 cup filtered water
1/4 cup pickling spices (or corned beef spice if you can find it!)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 beet ( if you want to make it red)

Place drained and rinsed jackfruit in crockpot on low
Add water, spices, acv (you may want to use a cheeseclot or something for the spices, otherwise you will need to pick them out (which is what I did)

If you want the red color, add the beet

Cook on on low for 4 hours

remove from crockpot and chop/ pull the jackfruit (like pulled pork)

Thousand Island Dressing

1 cup cashews (not soaked)
3/4 cup filtered water
2 T. pickle relish
2 T. ketchup
1 t. stevia concentrate (or honey)
1 yellow or white onion

Place all ingredients in blender (except relish and onion) and blend until smooth.  Stir in relish and chopped onion by hand

SWISS CHEESE SLICES or this VEGAN cheese spread

3/4 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 medjool date
1/4 t. liquid smoke

Place all ingredients in blender...will have thick consistency

Sprouted Rye Bread!
Sauerkraut!

Toast the bread, place the jackfruit on the bread, place swiss cheese on top, broil until cheese is melted

Place a scoop of sauerkraut on top and then dress it with the thousand island dressing and ENJOY!





HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY!!!!  BE SAFE AND PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment