Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Tropical 5k Miami, Florida

I thought 2017 would be a great come back year for my racing.  Alas, I was wrong.  I didn't realize how difficult starting over would be.  I ran only 2 races and though I did well, I injured my hips on the last race.  I wrapped up 2017 continuing HIIT and circuit training with my trainer (Jake from Cleveland FitShop).  I stepped back on my mat and into my yoga practice.

The cold weather and snow have been less than motivating thus far in 2018.  I'm keeping up with my HIIT and circuit training and yoga.  I also began Yoga Teacher Training last weekend.  YTT (Yoga Teacher Training is amazing, I'm learning so much about myself and finding connection with others).  If I'm not learning something new, not growing personally and professionally, and staying stagnant in life, I'm miserable.  I'm not meant for a repetitive desk job all day with no growth and so I continuously look for ways to challenge myself mentally, physically, and spiritually.  The YTT is the perfect challenge for me right now and I'm loving every minute.

A few months ago, I jumped the gun (again) and thought I would be half marathon ready by January 2018 so I signed up for the Miami Half Marathon.  Weather got cold, holidays came, and I just did not work on my endurance.  January arrived and I panicked.  Flights were booked, hotels booked, and I was feeling like a failure again.  I came across the Tropical 5k in Miami on Saturday (the prelude to the Half and Full Marathon).   So, I signed up!  I am so glad that I did.

Miami is full of energy and fresh, ocean air.   We arrived Thursday morning and I headed to the beach after checking into the hotel.  There were gayle winds and I was getting pelted with sand but I didn't care, it was the beach and it was still warm!  Friday, I picked up my packet and again headed back to soak up the sunshine.  After some day drinking, relaxing, yoga, reiki, a nap, and a massage I headed to bed early.   

 Saturday morning was perfect running weather (some weirdos may have said it was too warm, not me!).  I did not PR my time but my pace was about 30 seconds faster than the 2 races in 2017, so that works for me!  We ran across the bridge next to the ocean and finished at Nikki Beach.  Rather than take a cab back to the hotel I walked the 2 miles on the beach back to the hotel.  I relaxed by the pool the rest of the day, soaking up the sun!  The remaining time was spent exploring Miami Beach and the surrounding area with amazing cocktails and food, time in the sun, time by the ocean, and also a trip to Lock and Load Miami (http://www.lockandloadmiami.com/).   Miami was a success and I still started my race season earlier than usual! 



I am not only super pumped for 2018 in general, I am so excited to be an ambassador for the 2018 Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. My discount code is MFCLE10. Recieve a 10% off discount at registration for any distance!



Believe Love Understand Empower!







No comments:

Post a Comment