Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

Back to Blue

The fall season kicked off perfectly.  I think I can say that I have finally adjusted to all of the obstacles, challenges, and new roles of 2012.  It sure did take a while but I feel like the waters have become a bit more smooth..... or I have become a bit better at sailing. 

October started out with a morning walk for The Domestic and Sexual Abuse Coalition in Medina.  Bruiser and I participated in the 5th annual walk with your best friend against abuse 1 mile walk.  It was a chilly morning but we had a blast!
The walk was a meaningful walk and was in support of a great cause. The speaker was a high school girl who survived an abusive father. She told her story and also shed light on the fact that animal abuse and domestic violence is closely correlated. She had several pets throughout her childhood that her abusive father "lost" or abused. Her story was very courageous and illustrative of the close bonds we have with our pets. I never thought of the correlation between animal abuse and domestic violence but looking back at the "infamous" relationship, I recall a time very early on when my ex threw Bruiser because he was barking too loud and he was trying to sleep. I was devastated but I didn't end the relationship. (maybe if I knew of such correlation then I could have saved myself from a lot of grief). Alas, Bruiser is all well and I pay attention to how people treat their pets! 






The morning was beautiful and I enjoyed spending time with my best friend while supporting a really great cause! 



 
After a nap, it was time to get ready for some fun!  My friends Julie and Kevin got married! When I was in college, women were independent and focused on careers (or so I thought).  After graduating from undergraduate school, I stuck around and completed my Master's Degree.  Apparently during this time most of my friends got married and knocked up.  Years after graduating, even more friends became married and I was busy working.  Julie was the 2nd wedding that I was able to attend as an adult and it was a blast! I used to not like weddings but lately I appreciate the idea of happily ever after, love, and all that other mushy stuff.  Wishing Kevin and Julie a lifetime of happiness! 
 
 
October continues on with getting back to trail running!  Since my last triathlon in August, I was mostly doing strength training and yoga, taking a break from the bike and the run.  Yoga twice a week is heavenly.  I started back up with a trail running group on Thursdays and started working towards building my endurance on the weekends. 
 


I'm signed up for a trail half marathon in January and am still trying to decide between a 25k or a 50k trail run in April.  Whichever distance I choose, I'll be fundraising for my favorite organization,  Girls with Sole! I'd love to complete a 50k but I'm hesitant to commit right now.  I'm not sure about driving so far each weekend to train (I think it's going to be a rough winter).  Alas, I'm enjoying the beautiful scenery and the supportive company that comes with trail running. 

 
I'm looking forward to more memories, friendships, and challenges!
 
When I was in high school, we were asked to read a quote for graduation.  I chose the Eleanor Roosevelt quote, “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”  I had a horrible time in high school and was looking forward to moving forward. 
Reflecting back on this time and all that has happened since then, this quote is depicitive of my past and of my future.  I'm back and I'm Believing, Loving, Understanding, and Empowering!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment