Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Monday, December 3, 2018

Home Sweet Home, North Miami Beach!

We did it!  Bruiser and I moved from our humble vacation rental that was in a great location but not a good fit to a great location and a perfect fit.  I packed up everything I could into my Honda Pilot and headed north to sign the lease, get the keys, and wait for the furniture guys to arrive on Wednesday November 28th.  Ashley furniture did an amazing job, delivered on time, set up perfectly and I independently unloaded the first load from my car.  My initial plan was to move in slowly as I have the vacation rental through Dec. 20th; but, once I got the keys and the furniture I didn't want to stick around where I didn't feel comfortable.  So, I hauled ass back to the Key thinking I could throw my remaining things in the car, and Bruiser, and make it before rush hour traffic.  The timing was too close so I decided to wait out rush hour traffic.  

Here is Bruiser, so excited but so tired.  He was tired from going with mom back and forth and watching the unpacking but he did awesome! I-95 was lit up like a Christmas tree on the way ...brake lights everywhere, it was not my favorite drive and I should have waited a little bit longer but we made it! It is not easy moving box at a time while dragging (or having Bruiser pull) on a leash...lock car door, walk, unlock door to bldg, walk, unlock apartment, drop stuff off, lock apartment, walk, unlock car, pick up more stuff, lock car, walk, unlock bldg....repeat a million times..I didn't want to leave Bruiser in a new space and go back and forth so we did it together.  



He gave me a little bit of a scare.  He developed nasty tummy issues prior to moving, like he must have picked up something from our walks or the dog park.   Fortunately, I found an amazing Vet. down the street from our new place. He has enlarged intestines and bladder stones...it's been interesting taking him potty as we are on the 3rd floor and he's used to going right outside the front door. At first I had to carry him like a football and make a run for it. But, he's been adjusting well and loves the view.   He watches the ducks in the river and checks out the people walking by on the walking path.  His tummy has settled significantly with "special" food and some probiotics. I love my little guy and am so thankful he has been able to join me on this journey!

I am loving my new home.  I feel comfortable, the energy is amazing, and I am inspired and invigorated and full of gratitude and to be honest I'm still in a bit of shock.  We have parks, the ocean, Whole Foods, healthy and organic places to eat, a well-known Italian farmer's market with fresh fruit, veggies, meats, and such across the street, stores, a veterinarian, and more all within 2-4 miles.  The apartment complex has a gym, yoga studio, pool, fire-pit, and walking paths...plus a dog park.  My apartment view is the river, which is amazing.  A goal of mine when I came to Florida was to be in or near water at least 20 minutes every day.  I can look out my windows and see water, it's amazing (check out Wallace Nichols' book, Blue Mind, for all of the amazing and positive effects of being in or near water and it's a great read).  I'm close to everything.  There is an amazing yoga studio that I can walk to from my apartment.  I'm just so happy and excited.  I love the openness of the apartment and the kitchen.  I have been cooking again and really enjoying getting into a healthy routine.  I love having a full size washer and dryer in the apartment and central air...plus an amazing bath tub.  I love taking baths and have taken a bath every night.  

There are some things I am adjusting to here in Miami.  The traffic is insane compared to Grafton, Ohio.   The other day I was in the left turn lane facing east, waiting to turn left...the light turned green and an old man with difficulty walking was crossing the street, I had no problem waiting but 2 cars behind me went around me on each side and honked their horns and almost ran the poor guy over....Geez! And I'm pretty sure the traffic lights are read for 5 minutes at a time.  I don't know anyone yet, I'm so excited I want to share my journey and such with others but that is difficult. A girl needs some girl-friends.    I'm enjoying my own company again and learning new things, and really falling in love with myself and life.   The mosquitoes are insane but I bought indoor traps that have helped immensely.  Obviously, I miss my family as we are all so close and my niece and nephew are growing so much.  One of the very few good things about social media is that I get to see all the pictures! 

When I was in high school and undergrad, I wanted to move to a city.  After several traumas and my time in office as mayor, I only saw myself living in the woods, isolated from everything and everyone.  I wanted to be far away from humans, human sounds, everything human.  Looking back, I realize that I craved that solitude because I needed to heal. Now, I want to be in a city, near energy, and opportunities.  I am healing from those past traumas and I no longer want to be isolated.  I look forward to sharing my journey with others and helping others heal as I have healed myself.  I've not only learned so much about myself this year but I have grown more this year than all of the previous years combined.  

I continue to write and to work on building my holistic health business consisting of health coaching, reiki, yoga, and essential oils.  I am looking for a part time job teaching yoga at a studio and/ or providing reiki at a salon so I've been looking for leads in those fields.  I would love to even work retail at a boutique, a job where I can meet people and get out in the area.  I'm excited to continue stepping out of my comfort zone.  Though, I catch myself being guarded out of habit.  .Certainly living in a large city the crime rate is higher and I need to be vigilant...that is a given and my head is always on a swivel, but it's different than how I was guarded back in Grafton and Lorain County. Though my odds of being a victim of a crime are higher here, I feel safer here.  

My space.....












No comments:

Post a Comment