Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Healthy and Hearty Cast Iron Frittata!

I recently purchased a cast iron skillet, after much contemplation and intimidation.  I decided to check out some you tube videos and google some "how-to's" and then I dove right in.  I've been sticking to fairly easy recipes and getting the hang of it but it's rather simple and the results are pretty amazing!  I'm developing a real passion for cooking these days.

You can add or take away anything you want...I didn't add meat because I have been eating a mostly vegan, sometimes vegetarian diet.  I do recommend organic ingredients!  I also like a bit more heat. 

Recipe!

Pre- Heat oven to 350/375

This was super easy in the cast iron skillet!  Also, I was using a 12 inch skillet

Saute.....

1. Medium heat to skillet and melt about a tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil  (unrefined coconut oil has less of a coconut taste and is great for cooking).  Chopped red pepper, chopped green pepper, green onions, jalapeno slices, half an onion, spinach, parsley, several garlic cloves.  Saute until the onions are translucent and the spinach/ parsley is wilted.

2. Egg mixture...I cracked 12 eggs into a bowl, added some heavy whipping cream, Himalayan salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper , horseradish, garlic pepper and "whipped/ whisked" the mixture. 

3. Once the saute was ready, I made sure the ingredients covered the pan and then I poured the egg mixture over top and then put it in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden or puffed up. 

****careful, your cast iron handle will be HOT!!!  ****

Also, I do not wash my skillet in the dishwasher and I do NOT use soap on it.   Simply, wipe it clean/ scrub remaining food off with a cast iron chain scrubber thingy, rinse off real well then place on the stove on high heat until completely dry. 

Enjoy!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment