Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Zen Run 5k and Flanigan's Rockin' Rib Run 10k!

What a weekend!  Actually, what a month (I mean, shit....what a year!)....I have ran more races this November/ October than any other year...ever!  Must be due to the amazing weather and the fact that I don't mind leaving my house because I'm not going to get blasted by cold air, rain, sleet, snow, and clouds!  Ok, sorry I will do my best to limit my bragging about amazing weather.  Seriously though, I no longer feel like the "Tin-Man".  

The Zen Run 5k was Saturday here on this island I have been living on since October 1st (but no longer than Dec. 13th as I found a new and more permanent apartment, but that's for another post).  The Zen Run was held on Virginia Key Beach, a beautiful park just over the Rickenbacker bridge towards Key Biscayne in Miami!  I didn't have to wake up crazy early because it was a 7 minute drive, whoop!  I arrived early anyway (habit) and hung out on the beach....tough stuff.   




Stunning!  I was able to use the restroom plenty of times so I was good to go in that area.  I bought some wireless headphones to use with my phone (the only device that carries spotify (refer back to previous post)) and they worked great!  Product review coming after a few more runs!  The weather was cloudy and a cool 75+degrees, "perfect for me" running weather.  It is AMAZING how AMAZING my body feels running in warmth versus in the cold (below 60).  It's AMAZING!  The run was laid back, it was small (only the 2nd year, I believe), and centered around mindfulness and meditation...AMAZING.  (I need a thesaurus, I know).  We gathered for a meditation before the run, it was peaceful and I felt so good.  The run began and I took off down the sandy trails in the park.  It was mostly sandy/ grass/gravel which was great for my body as I had to run the 10k the following day. I felt light, had a great playlist, and enjoyed the run while not pushing myself too much (10k the next day) but just enough to pass a few at the end (my signature move, ha!).  The race finished with a meditation/ yoga practice (I scooted out to get home to Bruiser and to take a nap).  There were booths selling organic and handmade products and music for the day.  




ZEN RUN WEBSITE

FLANIGAN's ROCKIN' RIB RUN 10K

That nap I took?  It was a couple of hours.  As a result of the nap, I didn't sleep Saturday night, ugh!  My mind and negative thoughts were aggressive and honestly, I wanted to stay in bed and sleep but I posted on facebook that I was doing this race so I had to do it!  My bladder was full for the drive north to Davie, Florida and the drivers were insane!  Speeding in and out, it was very nerve-wracking!  I got to the park and traffic was backed up and I had to pee so bad, I was seriously ready to turn around.  But I acknowledged those thoughts and pushed on.  I finally parked with time to only pee once ( a third of the amount I usually pee before a race, due to nerves I suppose).  I hustled to the start line, again having those negative thoughts creep in.  

The race started and my mind was working extra hard with the negativity.  I'm learning to acknowledge these anxious thoughts, embrace them, and then focus on my breath, affirmations, and music rather than dwell and obsess on them.  The first 3 miles were tough but my plan was working.  I didn't look back and I didn't look too far ahead, I stayed focused on the area just ahead of me.  This was the longest I had ran since the Cleveland Rite Aid 10k in May so I was out of "practice".  

I love seeing so many families participating in these races.  There were a lot of strollers with kids and also a lot of strollers with handicapped participants....I love this.  It's such a positive atmosphere and hopefully the kids grow up to want to participate.  Also, if I have kids one day I have no excuse to not run!  Love it!  

The course was totally flat.  I found my "sweet spot" after mile 3 and got into a great groove, my "Forrest Gump Groove" but was noticing that I was getting goosebumps either from the positive emotions I was feeling or probably because I was overheating (something that I will get used to with time!)  I was sure to sip some of my half frozen water (I always bring my own water) and to pour some on my body.  I felt great otherwise.  Then, "Thank You" by Alanis Morissette played the last 3/4 mile and that song, oh that song.  It has had very special meaning for me throughout this entire year, since leaving Miami in January.......EVERY SINGLE WORD (except I'd replace India with Miami), that is "IT". It's like it was written for me, for this year, for this journey.   Of course I got choked up as I was overwhelmed with immense gratitude and I finished super strong, passing many overheated runners!  What an amazing journey.  It's just soooo friggin' rad (and magical).  There was a big party at the finish line with ribs and beer and liquor and booths, oh my!  I walked around a bit so I didn't get too stiff on the way home, and then headed home back to my temporary vacation rental.....to nap (and to do laundry, take a cold shower, walk Bruiser, get some tasty brunch, and to get ready for my online Essential Oils class).  I'm still waiting on results but I'm pretty sure I "beat" my 10k time from May!  



USE MY CODE: MF2019  for 10% off registration for the Cleveland Rite Aid Full, Half, 10k, Series!  



FLANIGAN'S ROCKIN' RIB RUN 10K WEBSITE

"Thank you" by Alanis Morissette....
How 'bout getting off of these antibiotics
How 'bout stopping eating when I'm full up
How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots
How 'bout that ever elusive kudo
Thank you India, thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty, thank you consequence
Thank you, thank you, silence
How 'bout me not blaming you for everything
How 'bout me enjoying the moment for once
How 'bout how good it feels to finally forgive you
How 'bout grieving it all one at a time
Thank you India, thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty, thank you consequence
Thank you, thank you, silence
The moment I let go of it
Was the moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it
Was the moment I touched down
How 'bout no longer being masochistic
How 'bout remembering your divinity
How 'bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out
How 'bout not equating death with stopping
Thank you India, thank you providence
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you nothingness, thank you clarity
Thank you, thank you, silence
THANK YOU ðŸ’™ðŸ’™
💙


No comments:

Post a Comment