Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Shifting from Anxiety to Gratitude

This month I'm focusing on daily gratitude reflections and journaling.  I signed up for Fierce Forward's daily gratitude challenge, starting each day with an email containing instructions for journaling and things to reflect on.  I made such a big move this year and bounced way out of my comfort zone, uprooting everything, taking a huge leap of faith, and a lot of risk.  It's been amazing but I have been reminiscing a little too much and focusing way too much on things that aren't going my way or working out perfectly.  I've been noticing old thought patterns and anxiety creeping in a little more than usual and that's ok.  It's all part of the process, the journey.   I miss a lot of things that gave me comfort and have found myself getting too caught up in those thoughts.  I saw this quote this morning, “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for" Epicurus.  This month is a great opportunity to really focus on the things I am thankful for and to not deny those memories and wishes but to recognize them, honor them, and then shift to the present moment and enjoy it.  

Each morning I write down 3 things that I am grateful for today in the morning and then again at night.  Writing down and/ or saying things I am thankful for helps shift the focus of thoughts on lacking to having.  Often times when I'm racing or just running or training in general thoughts of lacking will creep in.  For example, "Why can't I run faster, I wish this didn't feel so difficult", etc.  When those thoughts creep in I  repeat a mantra over and over like, "I am strong, I feel great" or I start thinking of the things I am thankful for at the time like "I am thankful for my health, I am thankful for my legs carrying me, I am thankful for my lungs, I am thankful for the ability to do this" and to add even more I will thank the volunteers, the police officers blocking traffic, anyone and everyone.  Before I know it, I bring my thought pattern back to the present moment and in a more positive way.  I have been applying this practice to my every day living.  When I notice anxious or negative thoughts I become aware and then repeat things that I am thankful for and it shifts my perspective!  It's like magic!  But, it is an ongoing practice  that  must be practiced continuously.  




No comments:

Post a Comment