Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Monday, October 22, 2018

Savannah, Georgia!

Savannah, Georgia.  Wow.  How will I find the words to describe your beauty, grace, energy, and mesmerizing history?  Kuddos to me for deciding to plan a stop in Savannah Georgia AND to stay for two nights!  Good job, Megs!  'Twas just another great decision I made this year while following my intuition and heart!  Bruiser and I arrived just as the sun went down.  We were stuck in a car for about 8 hours so after I unpacked our travel bags (I had designated bags for our drive so that I wouldn't have to unpack everything each time) we headed out.  We stayed at East Bay Inn in historic downtown Savannah.  I didn't realize it when I booked the hotel, but it's a great location and also a popular spot for the popular St. Patrick's Day celebrations...go figure!  Bruiser and I took a walk around the area, down by the river.  ( Did you know that the river used to be a bit more shallow?  Now it is much more full and the current is so strong that if you were to jump in and start swimming to the other side, you would end up 4 miles down stream?  That is ONLY if you survived! Amazing). Bruiser went into his first doggie store and we picked up a harness so that when he pulled me it wasn't choking him and he picked out a treat!  

It was an early night as the Notre Dame game was on so we worked our way back to the inn.  Go Irish!  The next day we took a walk around town, down by the river and back first thing in the morning.   My favorite tree, the oak tree, covered with moss is everywhere.  I love trees in general but this particular tree is so special and mesmerizing.   They were everywhere!   Back in the 1800's the people of Savannah thought there would be a shortage of trees so they planted so many more and that is why there is so many!  A tidbit I learned from the tour we went took.  But first, we took an Uber (Bruiser's first Uber) to the Bonaventure Cemetery.  I don't have the words to explain this destination.  My jaw was dropped the whole time.  Bruiser did get overheated so I had to carry him a bit but I didn't mind.  There were other dogs from up north as it is a highly visited tourist site.  I could have stayed there and walked around forever, kinda ironic since it IS a cemetery...and I felt like I could stay there forever (get it? ok, bad joke but whatever).    The history, the energy, and magnificence is incredible.  (I'm starting to think I need a thesaurus because I keep using the same words: stunning, amazing, incredible over and over....alas...).  It's like being in Plato's Cave for years and finally stepping out and realizing and recognizing such beauty and magic.  

Honestly the views on this whole journey, through this whole year, have been so  bright and vivid, and meaningful and stunning and breathtaking.  Later we went on an Old Savannah Tour on a trolley....Amazing!!! Bruiser wasn't impressed with the heat so I carried him after a bit til we got to the trolley pick up spot.  .  We saw the Sorrell Weed House, Forsyth Park, St. John the Baptist Cathedral, The Pirates house, Old Thomas House, the restaurant where Cape Fear and Something to Talk About was filmed, and so much more.  Our last stop was near our Inn and Bruiser  went to his first ever restaurant.  Many places in Savannah are dog friendly but Moon River Brewing Company was close to the hotel and it is allegedly haunted.  I was able to enjoy a beer and some food on the patio, with Bruiser!  There have been so many things I have done for the first time this year (literally, sooo many) and I'm glad that I was able to include Bruiser in a few!   He tried to start a dog fight but it was cool.   It all worked out.  

I've faced a lot of fears, let go of a lot of stuff, and did many things for the first time this year....fears I never thought I'd be able to face, things I'd never think I'd do, and it was all done this year.  What an amazing journey, full of life- changing break through and immense growth.  I'm still processing it all and in awe of it all.  I am so thankful that Bruiser has been able to join me and I am so thankful for everything.  I'm thankful for all the bad, all the pain, all the suffering, and all the magical moments and synchronicities and connections.   I was overwhelmed with thoughts to end my life just a couple of years ago but I held on.  I didn't give  up, I ran into the negative emotions and I felt and sat with all of it...I let it happen, I felt it, and it passed...like massive kidney stones, but it passed!

Thank you Savannah, we will see you again soon!  xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment