Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon 10k!

I have many special memories running this race.  It was my first half marathon in 2011 and my first full in 2012 and I enjoyed running it other times for other reasons.  It's my hometown race and I love it.   I wanted to do the half this year.  I was honored to be selected as an ambassador for this race and really enjoyed being a part of promoting a race I love.  I decided to run the 10k, I wasn't able to train.  What can I say?  I'm not a cold weather runner, it's hard for me to train when it's raining, snowing, and cold!  I also had yoga teacher training and focused on my yoga practice over the winter.  I felt the running was too much and that's ok. 


I went into this race with no expectations other than finishing, having fun, and being injury free.  I woke up super early and grabbed what I needed.  I looked at the weather and it looked cloudy but good.  On the drive downtown, it started raining.  What?  This was not in the forecast.  Fortunately, I grabbed my blue Akron half marathon shirt. This shirt meant a lot to me as I earned it after a tumultuous time in my life.  I decided to shed it the last mile as I no longer feel attached to it and the memories it held.  I've been doing th a lot lately...shedding, throwing away, and letting go of things that no longer serve me, that's another post. 
The garage where I was to park wasn't open.  No worries.  I found another garage.  I noticed my gas tank was on empty.  These are all things that would have set me into panic mode in years passed but I was going with the flow this year.  I've been going with the flow a lot this year and it's been working well for me thus far.  No need to stress the small stuff! 


I walked around near the start line to keep warm and fluid.  I didn't see anyone I knew but I felt good.  I felt present and took in all the sights and energy.  We finally started and I crossed the start line.  I kept thinking, "ok, Megan, this is not an A- race, let's have fun and see how I feel".  I felt great.
Fortunately I have been cross training with HIIT at Cleveland Fit Shop with Jake Barb.  That helped!  I was in the moment and feeling incredibly thankful for how much my life has changed this year and how much I have overcome.  I teared up several times but I really enjoyed running. I soaked it all in.   I realized how much I loved running and can't wait to run more in the warmer weather. 


So, I walked the hills, and didn't push myself too hard as I didn't want to hurt my hip again as I did when I ran the Miami 5k.  Before I knew it, I passed 2 water stations, had no idea what mile I was at and kept on moving.  I started picking up the pace the last mile and per usual I started hauling ass the last .5 mile, wanting to pass the next person ahead of me.  Not in my plan, quite the opposite, but I really love leaving it all out on the course.  And my hip felt good! 


I'm not sure there will ever be a race that I don't get choked up during and after.  Crossing each finish line means so much to me and I always feel so thankful for the ability to cross another.  There is always a reason I get choked up crossing the finish line.  Today, I got choked up for how far I have come and how magical my life is.  I'm so blessed and thankful with how far I have come along this year.  This year has been magical in its entirety.  Thank you CLE for the memories! Thank you body for doing amazing things, thank you mind for being present, thank you soul for the tenacity and resilience,  I love you! 




No comments:

Post a Comment