Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Last races of 2012

November 24th I ran the Dirty Dirty 5k.  The weather was quite chilly but I finally dressed appropriately.  Triathlons and running races over the summer are easy to dress for...I just wear my Triathlon uniforms; however, in the winter months I've had trouble wearing the right amount of layers and usually end up too hot or too cold.  The course was nice and I saw familiar faces.  I'm always anxious at the begining of a race, everyone starts out so fast and it can get discouraging as faster runners pass. 

I kept a steady pace in the begining, finding a few ladies who appeared to be at a similar pace.  I stayed with them through the water stop.  Once we left the half way point I started to pick it up so that I could get ahead.  Sure enough I got ahead but then I wasn't sure how much further I had to go and was doubting the distance left so I held back enough to keep ahead of those I passed. 

My friend Amy and her friend came back to cheer me through the fnish line, I was totally stoked to see them and really appreciated the cheers :)  I sprinted in for a 36:43 finish time.  I'm still getting the hang of the hills and terrain that comes with running in the woods. 

On December 24th I ran the Frosty 5miler.  I didn't sleep well the night before and was a bit dehydrated but I'm glad that I showed up.  This race was a road race.  The course was flat, but it was a little icy.  I have this fear of falling when running in the winter that I can't seem to get over.  I ran cautiously but was feeling winded and under the weather.  It was not my best run but I stayed ahead, wasn't last, and passed 1 person coming into the finish line.  I finished with a time of 1:00:49, a 12:10 mile....much slower that my summer running, yikes! 

I have a lot of work to do over the winter but I'm ready to step up to the challenge!  Next race is April 28th, my first 25k trail run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment