Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fixing the believer

Tapering is always so difficult for me.  My hard workouts are my everything.  They are my stress relief, my time to think, my "me time", my confidence booster....everything. I'm currently feeling fat, overhydrated (I'm a little panicked about the heat Sunday), antsy, and nervous. 

I'm not sure why I get so anxious before a big race but it's something that I've always done. I remember my first triathlon, I was terrified.  I woke up that morning and I thought it was freezing and I was never going to make the swim.  I asked my coach if it would be ok to wear a sweatshirt on the bike (this is funny because it was the middle of August; but, I had yet to learn the whole dress 20 degrees cooler than it actually is rule). 

The first 5k that I ran in the snow I was sure that I was going to fall and break a bone.  My first Olympic distance triathlon I thought I was going to be dead last.  My first half marathon, I remember making the turn for the half distance and thinking, "wow, those crazy people are not turning into the finish line, they are doing the full...that is crazy".    I have several first time stories that all end up the same way....with a big smile accross my face. 

The first race that I felt comfortable in was my first half-iron distance.  The whole time I felt like a kid in a candy store.  Getting "stuck" running behind the number 1 male during a portion of the run was motivating and I was so star struck watching the pros fly pass me on the bike and gallop by on the run.  I was all  smiles and all positive thinking.  I did some serious mental preparation beforehand and during the whole race. 

Our lives are all mostly mental.  It's time to get the believer fixed and time to get focused.  I can get back to losing weight after the race, utlize this downtime to think, pamper myself for my "me time", meditate to get rid of the ants in my pants, and visualize to calm my nerves. 

Ready, set, start believing!




No comments:

Post a Comment