Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Why I Raise Money to Fight Cancer

Growing up was difficult for me; I was a bashful, eager to please, tomboy with a strong desire to grow up and leave the cesspool behind as soon as possible. I rememberm a classmate who was going through Chemo, she lost her hair, and she wasn't a "cool" kid either.  I really admired her for so many reasons.  I admired her courage, her strength, and her perserverance.  I really admired her character during such a tough time and during the toughest times of her life- her teens.  I couldn't imagine myself going through school, where coolness was so important, image was a huge focus, and on top of everything else, having to fight some bully on the inside.  Oh, and get good grades. She was an amazing inspiration.  I wish I knew how she was doing today. 

I saw bullying everyday, I saw peers bullied everyday, I saw teachers participate and/ or ignore bullying everyday.  Whenever I could ....I stood up to the bullies, I spoke up, I rebelled against the coolness, and I did what I could to fight back.  Conforming did nothing for me, it made things worse and it never felt right.  I fought back against the bullying that I saw in any way that I could. 

Cancer is a silent bully.  It pushes you around, makes you stand out when you want to blend in and it causes us to question everything including our own sanity.  It hurts us physically and it tries to hurt us emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.  Cancer has bullied many of my friends, my coworkers, peers, and my family.  I will fight all cancers because cancer doesn't discriminate;   anyone can get cancer.  And so, I fight back and I will continue to fight back against cancer until there is a cure and I will fight as long as my friends, coworkers, peers, and family are being bullied!

I fight cancer because....

1. Grandpa Flanigan
2. Aunt Ellen
3. Aunt Kathy
4. Andrea
5. Renee
6. Dianne
7. Helen
8. because I'm not a doctor
9. because I'm loyal
10. because I'm protective of those I love
11. because I admire the strength cancer survivors and fighters have
12. Kevin Martin
13. because I'm at risk
14. because my family members are at risk
15. because it pisses me off
16. because I get goosebumps hearing stories of survivors who kicked cancer's ass
17.  because I'm a fighter
18. Aunt Betty
19. because my Grandpa Guidosh always said I was his strong girl
20. Frankie
21. Gale
22. Larry
23. because I'm not going to sit around and wait for someone else to do something
24. for all the cancer survivor's- I got your back
25. for all those that lost the battle to cancer- I will continue the fight for you

oh...and  BECAUSE I CAN!

I'm currently raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through Team in Training.  Last year I did the Sprint Distance- swam 1/2 mile, biked 12 miles and ran 3.1 miles and raised over $2,000.  This year I will be doing double the distance! I will be swimming 1mile, biking 24 miles and running 6 miles! My goal is to raise over $1,000.  The deadline is July 31st for donations.  I'll be swimming, biking, and running to fight back.....please join me and donate!  Let's kick cancer's ass together! 

To donate, simply click on the below link.....

http://pages.teamintraining.org/noh/grcletri11/mflaniganvn6#My-Fundraising-Page

100 degree bike ride training for the Triathlon.  The badasses kicking cancer's ass on the front lines don't get to take a day off of chemo because its too hot! I'm not going to either, so find my link, donate, and let's kick cancer's ass together!!!

B.L.U.E and fighting back!

1 comment: