Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Two quick reads

So.... In keeping up with my 2011 resolutions I actually knocked out 2 more books and I have to share my opinions on both. 

The first of the two is The Fifth Agreement by Don Miguel Ruiz and Don Jose Ruiz.  I liked this book's ideas- a few specific ones really meant more to me than others.  For some reason the way the author wrote bothered me- I'm not sure why exactly.  I felt like he was repeating many things over and over and I'm much more of a get to the point- no need to fill up pages type of person lol. That's just my opinion.
I appreciated how the authors explained knowledge and truth.  I really like the example of a mirror and how we see ourselves vs. how others see us and the various different perceptions.  The only thing that matters is that you are who you really are.  The authors explain how, as we grow up we are told who we are- we are told that we are good, we are bad, we are skinny, we are smart, etc etc.  And the things that people tell us about ourselves is how we believe really are.  The movie theatre example was awesome- it's found under the second agreement.  This totally made sense and allowed me to see a different perspective on how others have different perspectives as well. 

Many of the things discussed in this book are things I have been struggling with for years.  I'm finally getting a hold of myself and who I really am.  I don't have to prove myself to anyone. Here is my favorite excerpt from the book:
"Imagine living without fear, without judgement, without blame, without guilt, without shame.  Imagine living your life without trying to please other people's points of view, and not even your own point of view according to your own book of law.  Imagine how different your life would be if you lived with gratitude, love, loyalty, and justice, begining with yourself.  Just imagine the union between you and your body if you were completely loyal to your body, if you were completely grateful for you body, if you treated your body with justice.  Imagine being yourself, and not trying to convince anybody of anything.  Imagine that just by being yourself, you are happy, and that whereever you go, heaven is going with you, because you are heaven.  Imagine living with this kind of freedom.  Yes, the truth will set you free, but first you need to see the truth "(p. 186-187)
Wow- that really sums things up for me! Now learning to live like this is someting I've been trying to accomplish but old habits die slow.  I've always been overanalytical, oversensitive, over-worrisome and have always wanted to prove myself to people that I felt didn't understand me or believe in me throughout the years. 

The last of the two- but certainly not least- was my FAVORITE book ever.  I never laughed so hard nor cried so hard while reading a book.  The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is just so great.  it's funny, witty and has a great message.  I hope everyone reads it. " To separate oneself from the burden, the angst, the anguish that we all encounter eery day.  To say I am alive, I am wonderful, I am.  I am." p 160. 

And so another 2 books down.  I've decided to not turn on the TV for the month of March- hoping this will help me catch up on all of my reading and studying!

One must have the knowledge to believe, to love, to understand, and to empower.  Learn something new today and help achieve your inner BLUE.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment