Blue's UnBashful Blog

Blue's UnBashful Blog

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall!

The summer of 2016 was one of the fastest summers.  I was a zombie for the most part; but, I started to move forward.  I moved forward like a turtle in slow motion but I moved forward.  Once I had my "enough is enough" moment I began the journey back to my health and wellness (again).  July and August I did great.  I was getting in my "FitBit" steps and calories burned goals, I was walking, spinning 3-4 days a week, and practicing yoga 3 days a week.  I mostly went through the motions, forcing myself out of bed following an alarm clock trail that led to the coffee maker, and I just did it.  My main goal was to get moving daily.  Then August 9th I sprained my ankle (again).  For the 3rd time in 4 years I sprained the same ankle, the same way, around the same time (walking.....on the sidewalk).  I limped the mile home with blood running from my knee, tears flowing from my eyes, and prayers that no one would cross my path because I was overwhelmed with anger. With my previous sprains I was stubborn and I refused pain relievers, rest, and I forged ahead 100% holistically and it took a while to heal and move again.   

This time around I did everything I could to insure a speedy recovery.  I came home and loaded on the ice, elevated my ankle, called the pharmacist and asked which was best between Aleve and Ibuprofen, popped the recommended Aleve and recorded the time so that I stayed on schedule, popped my turmeric, drank my tart cherry juice, and began a guided meditation specifically for healing.  I then did some research on some products I am familiar with in my training.  One such product, Frog Fuel from Frog Performance , came to mind.  I was using this as a protein supplement after "more strenuous" workouts.  After talking to the company it was recommend I take 1 packet 3 times a day and so I did....immediately and religiously.  I was back on the spin bike on the 11th and recovered faster than I had ever recovered from a sprained ankle.  I remember going to the studio with my obvious ankle brace on and a friend asked what happened.  I explained the non eventful/ not fun walk on the sidewalk that led to my almost fall back into not moving at all.  She stated that it must be a sign that I was "over-doing it and need to slow down". I thought to myself (and surely I gave my head titled to the right, raised upper left side of my lip expression...... aka my "perplexed look" aka my "WTF" look) "slow down?! I thought..... I can't go any slower!!!".  I attended yoga after that spin session and I had an ankle sprain epiphany.  What if this means that I'm going in the right direction, that I'm healing, and that I CAN handle shit happening?!  I thought, "Yes.... I AM stronger" and I visibly smiled in my wobbly tree pose.  And so I carried on through August....but wait..... there's more......I was knocked on my ass again, literally this time, towards the end of August due to my health. 

I was learned that I had a reason for all of the alignments and struggles that haunted me post politics and I was diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue.  When my doctor said I needed to watch my diet, he really meant it.  Caffeine, carbs, alcohol, sugar (all the good stuff) are counter-productive with Adrenal Fatigue (and health in general ;) ).   I quit all of those things immediately, started taking a "tonic" from my holistic doctor, and began healing......again.  Alas, I was able to squeeze in 2 SUP (stand up paddle board sessions). I LOVE water!


September flew in and my niece was born!  She is an amazing ray of light.  I remember feeling more balanced and more grounded when she was born.  I felt like everything is as it should be and everything will be ok.  It was a great feeling.  I also reached the half way point of my Integrative Nutrition Health Coach certification.  I'm super excited to help others reach their health, wellness, and happiness goals in life! I've been learning about holistic health and wellness for a few years and I am thankful that I was able to enroll in the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  More on that later....a bit more happened in September..... An American Hero came to Lorain County!   


I was able to get Kris "Tanto" Paronto from "13 Hours in Benghazi" to come speak on September 22 at Lorain County Stocker Arts Center.  Wow.   He is an AMAZING man and I have so much to say but am still overwhelmed with the experience.  It was incredibly healing, inspiring, and humbling to meet and talk to Kris.   It was a pivotal point in my life at exactly the right moment.  (stay tuned for my "Male Role Model" blog post for more details!)


Fall came in furiously and I was bummed that summer was over but happy for the experiences.  I knew that this year would be a "recovery from politics"  year, I wished for a quicker recovery but I am pleased with my progress (However this election is really testing my patience and my sanity, and obviously my faith in government and the political process). 

I was able to go to a Notre Dame game with my parents.  The last time I was at a home ND game was in 2010 (I'm blessed to have been able to go to the 2 bowl games but nothing beats a game at The University of Notre Dame!).  We had a blast and they didn't win; but , it was great hanging out with my makers and participating in traditions such as Rocco's Pizza, Bloody Mary's at the Morris Inn, the best tailgating in tailgating, and prayers at The Grotto.

With the end of October approaching my mom and I went to the Holden Arboretum for the first time.  I LOVE nature and I'm terrified of heights but I LOVE facing fears.  We (along with everyone else that Sunday) checked out the canopy walk and the fire tower.  We had a great time and the scenery was breath taking. 

As I said in the beginning of this year, 2016 is the year for the 216! The Indians made it to the World Series!  We were fortunate to have tickets for game 1, the same night the CAVS started their season and received their CHAMPIONSHIP ring!  The CLE was electric (and I didn't have anything to eat).  
Winter IS coming (and of course it's supposed to be a "bad" one); but,  I have definitive goals, visions, and awesome things to work on as I finish up 2016 and get ready to rock out 2017!  

There will be a few changes and some new and exciting things coming from me so check back often, Believe, Love, Understand, and Empower and..... stay tuned.....the BEST is coming.   

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment